Friday, January 27, 2012

I want a computer programmer(like Superchips) that would give my '98 3.8 v6 Mustang a lot more top speed.?

Top speed is 120mph. I need to raise the top speed. I do not care how much the programmer costs. How much extra top speed would the best programmers add? I would love it If i could go 140mph in my car. Also how much extra speed would my dad's 2004 Ford F-250 5.7 gasoline V8 get with a good programmer? It shuts off at 100mph. I do not care how much a programmer costsI want a computer programmer(like Superchips) that would give my '98 3.8 v6 Mustang a lot more top speed.?
It's not your programmer, but your engine.



A 12 year old engine needs a lot of fix up to produce top power. A tune-up will give you more power gain than a new engine chip, which only produces about 10-12 HP any way. Which may get you... 1-2 MPH gain in top speed.



You'd get more top speed if you eliminate all the un-aero bits, like mirrors, wipers, and so on.



---

Kasey C, PC guru since Apple II days

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.I want a computer programmer(like Superchips) that would give my '98 3.8 v6 Mustang a lot more top speed.?
The problem isn't the ECU its the power your engine makes. The top speed for your car might or might not be governed, but odds are you wont get much more than 120mph out of a 3.8 V6 with or with out a programmer. all a programmer really does is adjust timing and the fuel curve. you might gain 5-15hp and 5-10lb/ft or torque. A '98 V6 mustang just doesnt really go much faster than 120mph, unless you actually start to build the engine. I wouldn't waste my money on a programmer. I'm guessing you mean a 5.4L for the F150. I wouldn't expect gains much more than 10-15 hp and 10-15lb/ft of torque with a programmer. By '04 they probably had a limiter for the top speed so you might hit 120mph with out it. A truck is not a good high speed vehicle in any way they're large, so more drag coefficient, theyre heavy, so poor power to weight ratio, and unless it's lowered they're pretty unstable at that speed. If you really wanted a higher top speed though, you could change the gear ratio of the rear differential in your mustang from say a 3.31:1 gear to maybe a 2.73:1 ratio. it would decrease acceleration significantly but you would have a higher top speed, and probably for a similar price to what a top of the line programmer would cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment