Monday, January 30, 2012

Performance Chips for cars. Do they really work and is this site reliable?

I have read a lot of reviews and lots of people have said that performance chips like Diablosport and SuperChips work. Do they really work or do they damage your car?



How about this website http://performancechipsnow.com they claim that "The Tunesport Module sends a modified signal through an engine data sensor, causing your factory Engine Control Module to reprogram itself for a more efficient air/fuel ratio and timing curve, essentially unlocking up to +75 Horsepower and up to +8 MPG in your vehicle!" Please help me decide if this tweaking is worth it. Thanks :)Performance Chips for cars. Do they really work and is this site reliable?
First, the website you listed is a scam. That's basically a resistor that screws up your computer in your car and makes it think it's running rich, and leans it out. There's no control over how much, and you will gain no power or mileage, and could cause damage to the engine.



Now, on to the REAL tuning solutions. Yes, those power programmers such as the Diablosport Predator, SuperChips, SCT Xcal3 (I own this one personally, more on that in a minute), Cobb ACCESSPort and others really work. In fact, using just these devices, you can tune full-fledged race engines making 500-1000hp or more. Now, with that said, they are very powerful devices. You can gain decent amounts of power with them, or you can blow up your engine if you don't know what you're doing. In some cases, such as with a car like the Subaru Impreza WRX and WRX STi, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, etc., 50+hp are possible from just a tuner. I've seen it. But the key to that, is those are turbocharged cars that control the boost with the computer. By retuning the computer, you can tell it to raise peak boost pressure, wich can have a dramatic effect on power. So tuning a stock STi from running 14psi to 17psi, like is standard with a Cobb Accessport, could easily make 50 WHEEL hp (or about 65-70hp at the crank) more than stock.



Now, want real world, hard numbers? Here's mine. I was racing my car, a 1998 Mustang Cobra, at the drag strip last year in late August. It was 95+ degrees outside and about 35% humidity. And I'm in Denver, where the actual altitude is 5800 feet at the track. Doing hot laps (not letting the car cool down between runs), the best I could do was 89mph, while my previous best was about 94mph. I pulled out my SCT tuner, and using some experience I have, I tuned it to add some timing and more fuel, changed a couple other parameters. Within 5 minutes, I had retuned the engines computer. I started the car, and let it idle for a couple minutes, then drove back to the staging lanes. With runs 20-25 minutes apart, I went from running a 15.68@89mph, to, still on a hot engine, a 15.38@91.5mph (I think). So I picked up 2.5mph and dropped about 0.3 seconds just from tuning a hot engine, driving exactly the same. Later that night, after some cooldown runs, I beat my previous best time (15.03@93.8) by turning a 14.86@94.97mph. Peak to peak when the car was cooled down, I picked up about 17hp I estimate between the hot runs, and from best to best, a peak of an additional 8whp (10 crank), and that's over the default SCT tune. My best un-tuned time was a 15.15@93.3mph. Overall, I'd guess the SCT tune added about 8whp, and the custom tuning another 8. So yes, you can gain more power with them, you just can't trust shady places like the website you linked.Performance Chips for cars. Do they really work and is this site reliable?
Chips DO work, but the ads are always deceptive, using key words like "up to" or "as much as".

Obviously, the result you get will be much greater if you have a 502 V8 than a 2.5L 4 cylinder.

I put a chip in my '86 Monte Carlo, and it HELPED performance, but it sure wasn't neck snapping performance with a rather sickly 305 engine.

Disregard all the claims of HP and mileage, and you may not be disappointed.Performance Chips for cars. Do they really work and is this site reliable?
try a site like summit racing for that stuff/they have been around for years/aaaahhhh 75 hp is a pie in the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment