Friday, January 27, 2012

What is the best way to tune a Ford truck with shift points and pressure for best gas mileage with superchips?

I have a 2005 Ford F-150 and have the superchips for it. I've been playing around trying to program it so that it gets better gas mileage, but I can't quite figure it out. My biggest questions are what should the shift points be between 1st and 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th? Options are: stock, stock + or - 1-5 mph wot or superchips for 1st to 2nd; stock, + or - 2-10 mph WOT, or superchips for 2nd to 3rd and the same for 3rd to 4th.



Also, what should the shift pressures be for each shift point? Options are: stock, stock + 2 - 20 psi and superchips.



My tires are not z rated and the final question on the superchips things is "Rev Limiter: Raise or Stock"...? Any advice for better gas mileage in this gas guzzling world would help a lot. Thanks in advance.What is the best way to tune a Ford truck with shift points and pressure for best gas mileage with superchips?
Put the shift pressure all the way up on all shifts, this will take away the small amount of slippage that softens the shifts. Shift points + 3 on all but 4th, this helps by needing less throttle on low speed re-acceleration because it causes an early downshift as well. The rev limiter won't matter unless you bump the shift points all the way up, so if you choose to max the shift points raise the rev limiter.



For further improvements consider installing under drive pulleys and an electric fan set up.What is the best way to tune a Ford truck with shift points and pressure for best gas mileage with superchips?
Thats really all you can do is keep "playing" around w/ your tuner until you reach a good point between shift points and fuel mileage.The tuner lets you change your shift points to allow the trans. to shift smoother and a bit quicker.The rev limiter does just that,it raises your rpms@ top end to allow you a few more mph before the computer starts limiting the rpms the engine is turning.The difference is a few mph over stock.I installed a Diablo tuner in my 2000F-150 and I encountered the same problems that you are.The tuner really never firmed up the shifts like it advertised it would,and I changed shift points and pressure several times and really never was happy w/ the performance of the trans.I talked to a performance trans.shop here in town,the guy told me tuner really never gives you the performance you think you'll get,they will change a couple of things but can never combine performance and economy together.I had them install a Trans-Go shift kit,make some mods to the valve body,change shifting parameters in the computer like shift points and line pressure,wow!My F-150 shifts like it should have when I bought the truck 8 years ago.Nice tight firm shifts when your just crusing around,but when you jump on it,I get a chirp from first and second,and I leave it in drive.Check out the shift kit,it might be what your looking for,sorry so long,but I know exactly what your going through,hope this helped.
  • flyff
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment