Monday, February 13, 2012

In an auto ins settlement how can I protect myself from ins?

I was involved in a non-injury mva, no fault of mine, however, the guys ins co wants to deduct $ for a prior salvage title (the car was completely repaired to new) and storage fees. It took them over 45 days to claim liability, they only want to may for 15 days of storage, stating I should've moved my vehicle, yet I had no place to store the vehicle.In an auto ins settlement how can I protect myself from ins?
1st off did the other company send you letters stating you have to move your auto by such and such time?



the fact that it took 45 days maybe due to verifying coverage/and or liability. if for instance they had denied your claim, you would have been on the hood for the entire time it was in storage.



sometimes they forget to mail those letters out and realize your car is in storage and go oops; if they did not mail those letters out, then they can be on the hook, since you were waiting on them to make a decision.



or say they mailed the letter out at 30 days when they realized in storage, then you should not be on the hook for anytime you were not aware of it. but if they mailed them, yes, you may owe, since they warned you; sometimes it might mean that you could have moved the car home or to a repair shop pending their decision.



i know it stinks; call your own insurance company and get their advice and maybe they will step in and help negotiate.



good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment